Editing and revising involves looking at various aspects
of your essay including:
- Content - how logical and well supported your
- Organization- the method used to present your
ideas to your audience. See the Methods of Organization List in
Writer's, INC. page 52.
- Punctuation - your use of periods, commas,
semi-colons, etc. Not using correct punctuation can lead to run-ons
and fragments making your essay diffucult to read and understand.
- Grammar - your use of sentence structure,
subject-verb agreement, etc. Check Writer's, INC. pages 518 -
531 for help.
- Spelling - DO NOT RELY on SPELL CHECK. A word
may be spelled correctly but not used in the right context. These
words are snown as Sudden Death Infractions.
Making even one mistake with an SDI will immediately let the reader
know that you didn't take the time to edit or revise your writing!
*Click here for a list of
SDI's (PDF document) and an SDI
Worksheet (document) that can help you practice using them correctly.
OWL also offers extensive help with grammar, punctuation and