of an Essay:
- Grabber - always start by getting your reader's attention.
NEVER say "My essay will be about . . ."
- Thesis - what your whole essay will be about. See Step 1: Prewriting.
- Preview your 3 main points (the three supporting ideas that
you will write about in your body).
Click here to read a sample
student intro (PDF document). - the grabber is in bold print, the preview ideas
are highlighted and the thesis is in italics.
- 3 paragraphs that support your thesis
- Use transitional words between your paragraphs. See the Transitional
Words handout for examples.
- Re-state your thesis
- Review your 3 main points (the three supporting ideas you used
in each paragraph of the body)
- Memorable Close
of an Essay Outline (PDF document) - Use this outline to help you see how to
organize your essay.
Web (PDF document) - this web also allows you to see how an essay should be